Mudakathan keerai is an medicinal plant and its scientific name is Cardiospermum. It is also called as Balloon Vine Leaves in English. The leaves are grown as an ornamental garden creeper. It is a type of climbing plant, grows rapidly into the tops of trees and mostly grows in south Asia, Central America, South America and throughout the world as annual plant.
In UK we get these leaves in grocery shops nowadays and I felt that we are lucky. But in india I have seen in many shops selling Mudakathan Powder especially in Ayurveda Shops (Nattu Marundhu Kadai). It is mainly used in Siddha Vaithiyam.
Some of the health benefits are:
- The oil is extracted from the leaves and is used externally for the treatment of arthritis and joint pain.
- It is used to get relief from ear pain.
- Improves body resistance.
Normally we can prepare Mudakathan keerai dosai , soup, juice, sambar, kootu recipe often in our daily routine life to get its nutrition health benefit.
Today I have prepared Mudakathan Keerai Dosa with the left over Idli/Dosa batter. It is very easy and so quick to prepare if you have already batter at home. This is my mother in law suggestion. Even my kids liked this Dosa and I was so happy to feed them. Coconut chutney is the best combination of this Dosa or we can have with Idli Podi .I can suggest this dosa as a very healthy breakfast recipe.
- Mudakathan Leaves – 1 Bunch
- Red Chillies – 2 or 3
- Black Pepper – 1/2 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Idli/Dosa Batter – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil – a drop
- Take the leaves alone from the bunch and wash it completely to get rid of any dirts or sands and drain it .
- In a mixie, grind together all ingredients said under ‘To Grind’ section .
- Grind to a smooth paste. No need to add water.
- Add this paste to the Idli/Dosa batter and mix well with a ladle.
- Add salt and give a stir.
- Heat a dosa tawa with a drop of oil and pour a ladle full of batter.
- Now spread it as a round circle to get a dosa.
- Drizzle few drops of oil around and cook for a minute.
- Flip the dosa and allow to cook other side also.
Crispy healthy Keerai dosai is ready to serve with coconut chutney.