Wishing you all a Happy Pongal /Maha Sankranti 2017!
Pongal festival is nearing and the festive days will start from Boghi to Kanum Pongal. Beside Pongal there are lots of dishes to be prepared during Pongal Festival. Payasam/Kheer plays an important role in auspicious occasion.
I bought red aval in Indian grocery shop and tried this payasam. It took only 15 min. to prepare this dish. White Poha can also be used for making kheer. We can say this is one of the Neivedhyam recipe to offer God.
I am sharing this sweet recipe especially for upcoming 2017 Pongal /Mahasankaranthi
Pongalo Pongal 🙂
- Red Aval/Red Rice Flakes/Poha – 150 gms
- Jaggery – 150 gms
- Boiled Milk – 2 cups
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cashewnuts – 10
- Raisins – 8
- Crushed Cardamom – 4
- Dry roast the pan and add the red aval payasam for few sec.
- Aval becomes crispy and the colour gets changed . Now add the boiled milk and allow to cook well.
- Cook till the poha becomes soft and mushy. It takes 10 minutes to get cooked.
- In the mean while in another pan add the jaggery, water and allow to boil.
- Then filter the jaggery syrup to clear up the impurities.
- Now add this filtered jaggery syrup to aval mixture and stir well.
- Keep the stove in low flame and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water according to your consistency level.
- Now roast cashewnuts, raisins and crushed cardamom with ghee and add to the mixture.
Red Aval Payasam is ready to serve hot or chilled. Note: You can also add coconut milk which would give extra richness.