Brinjal/Eggplant Chutney is one of the common chutneys prepared in my Mother and Mil’ s house. My Mil used to make many variations of brinjal chutney. One of her favourite’s is Sutta Kathirikai Chutney.
Today I am going to show you a quick Brinjal Chutney by Pressure cooker. It can be prepared easily within 10 minutes. Brinjal chutney is a bit tangy recipe as we are adding tomatoes.
Those who hate Eggplants definitely would start loving this Chutney with Idli/Dosa. Small violet Brinjals or Eggplants can be used for this recipe.
- 1 large eggplant or use 4-5 small Indian brinjals
- Potato – 1 big or 2 small
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 Tsp
- Urad Dhal – 1/4 Tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Red Chillies – 2
- Green chillies – 2
- Chopped Onion – 1
- Chopped Tomatoes – 2
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – A pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- Wash and cut the Brinjals and Potatoes.
- Heat the pressure cooker with oil and add mustard seeds,Urad dhal and Cumin seeds.
- Once it started popping add red chillies, green chillies and chopped Onion.
- Saute well for 5 min till the onions turns transparent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry till it gets mashed well.
- Add all spice powders and salt. Add little water and mix well.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and close the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook it for 4 whistles and remove it from fire.
- Once the steam escapes remove the lid.
- Smash the chutney with a ladle well.
Serve this delicious chutney with Idli/Dosa/chapathi/poori.