Arisi Paruppu Sadham is one of the most important recipes in Kongunadu region of TamilNadu. Coimbatore is called Manchester of South India as it has more industries, textile factories, spinning mills……
Coimbatore speciality of cooking involves a traditional way. Some of the famous recipes of region are Pallipalayam Chicken, Pollachi Eral Masala, Ragi Roti, Kadhamba Sadham, Kollu Masiyal, Kaalan Kuzhambu…….
I have learnt this recipe from my m-i-l after my marriage. Before marriage I never knew about this dish.
I can say this is one of the lunch box recipes. It is a quick and unique recipe which comes in our mind when there is no vegetables in our fridge. Appalam and Pickle are the best combo for Arisi Paruppu Sadham.
- Raw Rice/Parboiled Rice – 3/4th cup
- Toor Dhal – 1/4 th cup
- Small Onion – 10
- Garlic – 6
- Red Chillies – 3
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Sambar Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curryleaves – A sprig
- Salt to taste
- Sesame Oil for seasoning
- Wash and soak rice and Toor dhal together for 15 min.
- Heat a pressure cooker with sesame oil, add mustard and cumin seeds.Allow it to splutter.
- Then add red chillies and chopped shallots. Saute or a few min.
- Add chopped garlic and curryleaves and saute.
- Now add rice and dhal together, add 3 cups of water.
- Add turmeric powder , sambar powder and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure released open the cooker
Serve hot with a tsp of Ghee. Adding ghee gives delicious taste.